[Grok-dev] Over 2 months, and no new release?

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Wed Apr 1 04:14:40 EDT 2009

Hi there,

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:
> >>>
> >> I was hoping to establish some kind of formal process for the testing
> >> my team would be doing. We can just use it and file bugs, if that's
> >> all that's needed.
> >
> > No, there's no "Formal" process in that regard. If you can report
> > succes with the fixes that are currently applied on the trunk, than
> > that is what we'd like to hear :-)

Yes, I'd like to hear of windows testers of `grokproject` as well. Right
now I am relatively sure, that running the automated tests on windows
will fail because of path names.

> The complexity here is that it also involves grokproject and grokcore.setup.
>
> I'm busy travelling, but I'd be happy the following people would work on
> getting a 1.0a2 people out of the door:
>
> Uli and Michael Haubenwallner who did the most fixes need to do the
> following:
>
> * explain what versions of grokproject and grokcore.setup the releasers
> and testers need to worry about.

grokcore.startup: 0.2

grokproject: 1.0a2

Michael and I could do a 1.0a3 release of `grokproject` on April, 3rd.
Michael already prepared for that some days ago. An announce with
upgrade instructions will be published here.

> * explain how someone should do testing

I can only tell how to do it on Linux-like systems:

1) Download the sources to check. For instance::

    $ svn co svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/grokproject/trunk trunk

   if you want to check the current trunk or something like::

    $ svn co svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/grokproject/tags/1.0.a2 src

   if you want to test a certain release.

2) Change to the source dir, initialize the environment and run the
   tests::

    $ cd trunk
    $ python2.4 bootstrap/bootstrap.py
    $ bin/buildout
    $ bin/test

  It is important that the tests are done with each supported Python
  version. Therefore you do also::

    $ python2.5 bootstrap/bootstrap.py
    $ bin/buildout
    $ bin/test

  To be sure, that the Python environment is really clean, you might
  want to use the Python of a virtualenv environment without
  site-packages.

  `grokproject` tests take a very, very long time as they do a complete
  download of all needed packages. If you put a file named 'shorttests'
  in the source root, this download will only happen once and reduce the
  runtime of tests dramatically.

> Then Alec can do the testing.

Would be nice to have some testing instructions for windows. I can,
however, not do it myself, as I smashed my last windows partition some
months ago (well, it smashed itself). But I am willing to assist if
someone else wants to do it.

> Preferably this process results in documentation.
>
> Then Jan-Wijbrand could push out a 1.0a2 release with those fixes in it.
>
> We could also turn it the other way around and push out a 1.0a2 with the
> WSGI/Windows improvements.
>
> Most of all we need someone to coordinate this. I won't have time the
> coming month, so I hope someone will step up and coordinate people and
> make sure progress happens. A release could be out by next week as far
> as I'm concerned. Who volunteers to coordinate the others? It involves
> reminding people a lot and removing things that block the process.

There is also a new version of grokui.admin in the pipeline (with
packing and security notification functionality). Here we have a problem
with the tests for the packing functionality: tests hang forever when
you try to pack the DemoStorage. I'd appreciate if someone could tell,
what causes this mystery, as things work as expected with 'real' ZODBs.

> I really really need help to do this, as I'm just one person and I'm
> overcommitted with volunteering already. It just requires some quick
> thinking on your feet to make sure there is progress. I can help sketch
> out a plan as above if required, but really it isn't all that hard to do
> this. You need to coordinate and delegate effectively and be bold enough
> push people into volunteering work (as I did above).

Sure, JW already mentioned he will care for `grok`, while Michael and I
can care for `grokproject` and `grokcore.startup`. Alec might help with
windows-based tests, if he agrees. Alec, please tell, what infos you
need to do so.

Best regards,

--
Uli