[Grok-dev] How does one unittest a view?

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 11:05:26 EDT 2009

Wichert Akkerman wrote:

>>> How can you unittest a view? Trying to instantiate a view in a testcase
>>> fails when the constructor tries to access self.__view_name__ and
>>> self.module_info.
>>
>> Maybe something like this?
>>
>> :test-layer: unit
>>
>>     >>> import grok
>>     >>> grok.testing.grok('sample')
>
> That groks the whole sample package, right? I do not want that, since
> that can have all kinds of effects. What I am looking for is the very
> minimal thing that allows me to instantiate a view so I can call methods
> on it. Currently I use this:
>
>     def setUp(self):
>         # grok makes unit testing extremely painful
>         View.__view_name__ = "iew"
>         View.module_info=Mock()
>         View.module_info.package_dotted_name="euphorie.content.model.View"
>
>     def tearDown(self):
>         del View.__view_name__
>         del View.module_info
>
>     def testSomething(self):
>         model=Model()
>         view=View(model, None)
>         # Do the tests here
>

> which works, but is not quite optimal

Would just grokking the View component itself be acceptable?

If so, I think you could do:

  from grokcore.component.testing import grok_component

  def setUp(self):
    grok_component('View', View)

But this still involves having CA registrations taking place and it
seems that that is not what you want *at all*, right?

In that case yes, Grok makes it not easy to write a "pure" unittests for
view components.

I wonder how this would work in a vanilla Zope 3 context though...

regards,
jw