[Grok-dev] Windows install troubles (again!)

Behrang Dadsetan bdadsetan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 06:43:14 EDT 2009

Hi Uli,

  Actually playing with grok was the main "excuse" I gave myself to
buy a MacBook Pro. :)

  I have now have virtual machines for Mac, XP, Vista, Ubuntu and
Suse. I also have the entire development suite for windows (I have a
MSDN license). Finally, I got pointers from the plone developers for
their installer procedures. It is quite automated and once I look into
it, I hope to replicate the same procedure for grok.

  All this to say I am readying myself to build an almost automated
procedure for "all-batteries-included" for diverse platforms but I
will need another few days to get there.

For windows, I suggest we have an installer that includes:
- The Windows installer for python (latest supported by grok)
- The win32all installer for the matching python version
- PEAK easy_install, buildout, virtualenv, grokproject, grok and all
the libraries that these depend on

I suggest the Windows grok installer creates all this in a separate
space (something like C:\grok or user chosen path?). This would make a
separate python installation for grok usage (ie. C:\grok\Python25).

Advantage:
 - Supporting these users would be easier because they would not have
conflicting module versions
Disadvantage:
 - Users would have to potentially reinstall separate python modules
twice (one for their PC one for our grok environment)

Am I in the right direction?

Thanks!

Regards,
Ben.