[Grok-dev] How you can help improving Windows support

Roger Erens roger.erens at e-s-c.biz
Mon Apr 13 18:24:04 EDT 2009

on 13-4-2009 16:58 Uli Fouquet wrote:
> Hi there,

> Good idea and many thanks for the port! You also added a large list of
> TBD (to be discussed) topics, which might be of great value for our todo
> list.
>
> I'd propose that we move this TBDs back to the wiki if you agree. This
> way we could use the wiki as an easy to edit proto type for the install
> howto while the text on grok.zope.org represents our 'current state of
> art' for installing Grok on Win platforms.
>
> Everytime a topic is 'finished' on the wiki, we then could port the
> results back to the 'final' version on grok.zope.org. So the wiki howto
> would be our 'trunk' or development version (including comments,
> proposals, TBDs, etc.) from which we generate 'releases' on
> grok.zope.org.

I cleaned up the HowTo and moved the procedure with the TBDs to the Wiki.

>>>      http://wiki.zope.org/grok/WindowsSupportPlans
>>>
>>>   where I added an extra section for that and/or file bug reports as
>>>   mentioned above. Of course you can also use the mailing list.
>> Since I only have OEM-licensed Windows, I cannot start with a clean
>> (virtualized) environment each time a grok/grokproject release is made.
>> Therefore there may be some legacy settings stemming from actions that I
>> forgot to mention.
>
> Unbelievable: one cannot start with a clean environment just because of
> license? That's really bizarre, but will hit others too.

Well, I actually meant that I don't have a separate MS Windows CD-Rom
that I can use to install MS Windows into a virtual machine. So now I'm
using my machine for daily use to test the installation procedure. When
a new Grok release is made, I should uninstall my previous release.
That's where the uncertainty about having legacy settings is creeping
in. With a virtual machine and a separate MS Windows CD-Rom, one could
be certain to start again with a clean environment.

> One first comment: you state in the howto that Python2.5 and 2.6 are the
> 'officially' supported versions. I think it is in fact Python2.4 and 2.5
> currently. Is that right?

Yes, Ben made the same comment. I changed that.

Roger