[Grok-dev] grokproject 1.0a3 failed on windows xp

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Tue Apr 14 19:12:03 EDT 2009

Roger Erens, on 2009-04-08:
> on 04/03/2009 03:48 PM Lacko Roman wrote:
>> Testing latest grokproject 1.0a3 on Windows XP (virtualenv 1.3.3) :

>>     os.unlink(temp_tarball_name)
>> WindowsError: [Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: 'd:\\temp\\tmppx4hew'
>
> Same type of error here on Windows XP.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/grok/+bug/315227
>
> mentions a possible fix in changeset 94692, but I can't find that
> changeset in the revisions listed on launchpad. Should I check somewhere
> else, Maurits?

That is changeset 94692 of the zope subversion repository.  To be more
precise, z3c.recipe.eggbasket.  Changelog entry:

  Fixed temp dir removal error on Windows (fix makes the code saner
  for other systems too).  Fixes https://bugs.launchpad.net/grok/+bug/315227

> Also win32all seems to be needed during the installation process, while
> the tutorial.rst in trunk says it's only needed when running Grok with
> the previous 'zopectl' layout.
>
> The need for the win32all package should also be mentioned on the
> download page http://grok.zope.org/about/download , me thinks.

I added the need for the win32all package in revision 97358 of
grokproject:

  if sys.platform == 'win32':
      # Fix for paths with spaces on Windows.
      # See https://bugs.launchpad.net/grok/+bug/315223
      import win32api
      eggs_dir = win32api.GetShortPathName(eggs_dir)

I tried that on a Windows computer at work that happened to have a
python install.  I thought it was pretty pristine, and assumed that
win32all belonged to the default python install on Windows.
Apparently I was wrong; sorry about that.

Actually, I never installed grokproject on a Windows machine but only
experimented with that GetShortPathName call in a python prompt after
some googling. :)

Cheers,

            Work | http://zestsoftware.nl/