[Grok-dev] Grok 1.0 final?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Apr 16 05:18:51 EDT 2009

Hey,

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:
[snip]
> Still, if I look at the amount of effort and time it takes us now to
> keep Grok moving towards 1.0, I'm not sure what timeframe to keep in
> mind for something like 2.0...

Hard to tell. About a year? But I'd be happy to make intermediate
progress in 1.1, 1.2, etc.

> What I would like though is to see if we get ourselves on a time-based
> release schedule for Grok, and have new releases at a regular intervals,
> however small the new feature set may be - after 1.0 has happened of course.

+1

> There're still some major tasks to accomplish for 1.0 and sometimes I
> wonder if we shouldn't just call whatever we have now 1.0 and continue
> from there... but at the same time I would be slightly uncomfortable not
> solving the module-directive-inheritance issue (and others)... Maybe we
> started calling Grok "1.0 alpha" too soon, but doing so did get some
> development-momentum back in...

Yeah, I think we should go with the flow and continue with the momentum.

At some point we should say: okay, this is 1.0, whatever we got, and
continue onwards, though. Let's say the end of may is that point.