[Grok-dev] No-ZCML story

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 07:07:08 EDT 2009

Christian Theune wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just wondered: is there a wish to get rid of the small ZCML part that
> we need?
>
> I just realized that we could use entry points to automatically grok stuff.

-0.5

I think ZCML still has its place as a *configuration* language (as
opposed to a component wiring mechanism for default components).

For instance, I don't like using grok.Permission to define a permission.
That's the kind of thing that belongs in configuration files, not in
code, IMHO, so I prefer to use <permission />.

Equally, if I need to override something from another package ala
overrides.zcml, I think it makes perfect sense for that to be explicitly
declared in a configuration file, rather than taking place in some code
module or another.

Thus, if we move grokking to entry points, I think we'd still be likely
to have ZCML files in some places.

Martin