[Grok-dev] data.fs location

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Fri Aug 21 05:16:04 EDT 2009

Hi there,

Reinout van Rees wrote:
> On 2009-08-17, Tim Cook <timothywayne.cook at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I wouldn't be opposed to parts/var  In fact I like the the parts/*
> > approach.=20
>
> Coming from plone buildouts, parts/ has always been a "can be zapped and will
> be recreated" area for me.
>
> One other place where this is coming from: if you make a buildout recipe, you
> can return a directory you created as output of the install() method.  Upon
> uninstall, buildout will clean up that directory for you.
>

> So: using var/ instead of parts/ would make my data safer as "var/" is a
> warning flag for me not to delete stuff there :-)

Thanks for all the input everybody! Looks like there is a majority view
that logs, blobs and Data.fs data are better located in adequate
top-level directories. I share this opinion.

So, grokproject will switch to create the mentioned top-level
directories to store data etc. in future releases.

For the documentation issues mentioned by Tim: having a quick look on
grok.zope.org, I didn't find many documents mentioning the parts/data
directory explicitly, so updating docs should be manageable IMHO.

Have a nice day,

--
Uli