[Grok-dev] Grok-1.1a2 released!

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Tue Dec 22 21:21:13 EST 2009

On 12/22/09 11:43 PM, Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:

> The ZTK will not only make available newer features and bugfixes in
> toolkit libraries, but also a less complex dependency structure of these
> libraries encouraging more reuse.

... but grok itself still places everything from the kitchen sink to
zope.app.i_dont_know_what in its install_requires.  There's a note in
there: "deprecated packages, there for backwards compatibility" after
which three zope.app packages are included.

Presumably to make sure that people that do an
"install_requires=['grok']" get the list of packages they're used to.

The effect is that I added some 10 additional packages to that list.

Here's the current list (basically reported by z3c.dependencychecker):

# deprecated packages, there for backwards compatibility
'zope.app.error',
'zope.app.securitypolicy',
'zope.app.session',
# Reported as unused by z3c.dependencychecker.  Should
# be removed or moved to the deprecated packages list.
'zope.app.appsetup',
'zope.app.pagetemplate',
'zope.app.security',
'zope.app.twisted',
'zope.deprecation',
'zope.dottedname',
'zope.hookable',
'zope.i18nmessageid',
'zope.pagetemplate',
'zope.proxy',
'zope.viewlet',

So: are those first three packages special?  Can they be removed?  What
about the rest?  Someone knowledgeable that wants to make the call?

"we're removing dependencies" is true for the grokcore.* packages, but
in this way, it is not true for grok itself :-)

(Note that I added a bin/compattest today that runs the tests of grok
and all its dependencies, automatically.)

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees - reinout at vanrees.org - http://reinout.vanrees.org
Software developer at http://www.thehealthagency.com