[Grok-dev] a nice research project

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Sun Feb 8 03:53:29 EST 2009

Hi there,

please, guys, let's get back to the ground and and be respectful towards
each other.

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> I just read this:
>
> http://plope.com/whats_your_web_framework_doing
>
> And I certainly don't understand that Grok is doing here.
>
> The sample code for instance shouldn't be using the ZPT engine at all,
> but for some reason we *do* see a lot of TAL used in the profiler
> output. I don't understand why an XML parser should be invoked either,
> except if that's ZPT again. Configuration needs XML but that should only
> be invoked during startup time (I see calls to minidom) in there.
>
> If people would like to dig into this and see where some of these
> artifacts are coming from, perhaps we can get the list of calls for such
> a simple application down.

I get similar results as Michael, when doing the second...1000th request
with ab.

At least the XML parsing (with following calls to `minidom`) seems to be
triggered by `zope.i18n` when a locale is loaded (`getLocale()` and
`loadLocale()` on request of zope.publisher). This happend here only on
the first request. All subsequent calls (as Michaels output shows), do
not call TAL- or XML-stuff. Even when the server was restarted.

The XML stuff looks to me like some initialization code. Also the number
of function calls decreases to about 300 on subsequent calls (also shown
in Michaels result). Should I dig deeper?

A maybe interesting sidenote: when using a page template insted of
returning a string in the view, I get slightly faster results here.

Best regards,

--
Uli