[Grok-dev] python -S for grokproject?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Feb 12 07:57:47 EST 2009

Hey,

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 18:46, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Perhaps I mentioned it before but it bears mentioning again.
>>
>> We should investigate this method as a way to create a grok project
>> without having a clash with site-packages:
>>
>> http://shane.willowrise.com/archives/easy-workaround-for-zcbuildout/
>>
>> i.e. using python -S.
>>
>> If this works, we might have a very simple way to create the equivalent
>> of a virtualenv setup for Grok without having to explain virtualenv.
>
> As an option, I guess, as you may have things like mysql libraries and
> stuff in site-packages?

There's only a single reason to use virtualenv around a Grok buildout
and that's the --no-site-packages option that it offers. With that
option, you still don't reduce the chance of clashes with libraries in
site-packages, and as a result Grok won't properly install on Mac OS X
for example.

If you're just looking for a way to get eggs installed elsewhere, Grok's
buildout does that fine for you already. No need to introduce virtualenv
then.

Therefore, if we now have a way to create buildouts that aren't
interested in site-packages, we could drop the use of virtualenv
entirely, as the only reason we recommended this process was to avoid
conflicts with installed packages.

virtualenv can still be useful if you want to make sure *grokproject*
doesn't install globally, but so far we have not been suggesting this in
our documentation as far as I recall.