[Grok-dev] My first application 'full Grok' (not in Zope 2)

Michael Haubenwallner michael at d2m.at
Thu Feb 19 15:26:15 EST 2009

Sylvain Viollon wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    It was bad actually.

Sorry you had a bad first experience.

>    After that, I started Grok with:
>
>    ./bin/paster serve etc/debug.ini
>
>    With my browser, I went to http://127.0.0.1/. I got:
>
>    Unauthorized: (<grokui.admin.view.Index object at 0x2b409aec>,
>    'browserDefault', 'grok.ManageApplications')

You need to point your browser to http://127.0.0.1/@@login.html when
using the debug.ini -- this is already documented, but needs a better
place.

>    And I added an application.
>
>    In a term, with a python2.5:
>
>      >>> import xmlrpclib
>      >>> s = xmlrpclib.ServerProxy('http://127.0.0.1:8080/jel3')
>      >>> s.helloWorld()
>      *nothing happens*
>
>    And nothing will happens in the next thousand years
>    I think. No error in the Grok console, nowhere.
>
>    It seems that XMLRPC doesn't work with WSGI (I guess).

The method is actually called (try debug print to stdout).
But the output hangs.

I have found this in zope.publisher changelog -- 3.5.3 (2008-06-20):

Bugs fixed:
    * It turns out that some Web servers (Paste for example) do not send
the EOF character after the data has been transmitted and the read() of
the cached stream simply hangs if no expected content length has been
specified.

Looks like this is our problem. There is also a thread in zope3-users
mailinglist:
http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-users/2008-October/008255.html

I changed the zope.publisher version from 3.4.6 to the latest (3.5.6)
for my example project, but the problem still exists.

Regards
Michael

- --
http://blog.d2m.at