[Grok-dev] Grok and eggs

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Feb 20 17:39:12 EST 2009

Hey,

Derek Richardson wrote:
[snip]
> Hey. We just had another thought about this. We can manually pin the egg
> versions in our setup.py.

Ah, great minds think alike, I just let Kim know the same. Your own
setup.py is of course completely under your control and locking down
versions hard in an application is probably less bad than doing it with
a framework.

> The part for grok, however, is that it would
> be nice if grokproject could optionally generate a setup.py with
> versions pinned appropiately for packaging a project as an egg. That way
> it's easy for others with needs like ours to do what is necessary to
> incorporate a new grok project into an existing wsgi app. This seems to
> go well with the current initiative of moving the paster integration
> code (startup.py, etc) into an egg and out of grokproject templates.

I think you should create a launchpad issue to have grokproject support
this with an option ("bake version requirements hard into setup.py"), so
we won't forget. Patches are welcome as well, of course. :)