[Grok-dev] grokproject putting Data.fs under parts/*

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Mon Jan 12 10:23:30 EST 2009

Martijn Faassen schreef:
> Hi there,
>
> Andreas Jung wrote:
>> why does grojprojekt configure the Data.fs to live under parts/data?
>>
>> Moving parts like the Data.fs should in general live outside the scope
>> and the control of zc.buildout?!
>
> That's not the opinion of the people who wrote the buildout recipes
> we're using. :)
>
> The idea is that buildout can generate the whole setup for you, and that
> includes the database. The benefit is this that buildout can also
> potentially setup things like ZEO and so on.
>
> You seem to have a philosophical difference with the people that wrote
> zc.recipe.filestorage and zc.zope3recipes... We've been following that
> pattern with Grok from the start and I'm not sure what you think is
> wrong with it.

Well, what every buildout guideline on plone.org seems to mention is:

* Stuff in parts/* can and will be zapped into oblivion by buildout.

* Stuff in var/* is safe.

I cannot actually find it on buildout's pypi page, but I've always
treated it as a rule of thumb. I could of course be something build into
several zope2-ish recipes.

Reinout