[Grok-dev] How to do authentication right with Grok

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Jan 12 16:10:16 EST 2009

Brandon Craig Rhodes wrote:
> Andreas Jung <lists at zopyx.com> writes:
>
>> Stupid me. Since local utilities are persistent the code is called
>> only when creating a new instance of the app
>> *banging-my-head-against-the-wall*.
>
> I plan to change this about Grok as soon as I have time, by the way; it
> seems to me that local utilities should work just like global utilities,
> and get kept in RAM rather than in the Zope Database, and that we should
> rename the current LocalUtility class to PersistantLocalUtility or
> something for those who really need their utilities to hang around in
> the database changing or accumulating information over time.

That would be cool to have. Note that the current LocalUtility doesn't
have enough information to know what it is to be attached to and we have
to consider issues of reuse too.

I think besides this we do need a way to install persistent local
utilities into existing application objects automatically.

> Indexes are a different matter; they obviously *do* sit around in the
> database.  Still, I'd love to see the ``grok.Indexes`` class gain the
> ability, on startup, to add or delete indexes from the Application or
> Site to bring them up-to-date with what's declared in the code, rather
> than making us destroy and re-create all of our applications every time
> we make a dratted change to our source code. :-)

Agreed, it would be nice to have at least some minimum index evolution
code available.