[Grok-dev] 1.01a install trouble on Windows Vista - 10013 socket error

Sebastien Fréal-Saison s.frealsaison at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 16:00:27 EST 2009

Martijn Faassen-2 wrote:

>> I ran '\bin\paster serve etc\deploy.ini' in the newly created
>> "sebsgrokproject1" folder gives a 10013 socket error :
>
> A permission denied error when trying to open the socket. This one seems
> new to me. Anyone have a clue what's going on here? Perhaps Vista
> doesn't want to open sockets as some form of security precaution? Must
> be a way around it.
>
> Martijn

This 10013 error seems to be a error dealing with rights. See on
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms740668.aspx :

WSAEACCES 10013

Permission denied.

    An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access
permissions. An example is using a broadcast address for sendto without
broadcast permission being set using setsockopt(SO_BROADCAST).

    Another possible reason for the WSAEACCES error is that when the bind
function is called (on Windows NT 4 SP4 or later), another application,
service, or kernel mode driver is bound to the same address with exclusive
access. Such exclusive access is a new feature of Windows NT 4 SP4 and
later, and is implemented by using the SO_EXCLUSIVEADDRUSE option.

Sorry, I can't help you there. My Vista was patched with SP1 long time ago,
and is supposed to be updated immediately after patch availability.
Sebastien