[Grok-dev] what to install if zope3 is already installed?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Jan 15 23:06:56 EST 2009

Hi there,

Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> I have an ubuntu systm with the packaged zope3 installed.
> I really want to use packaged zope3

> What should I install over that to have grok?
> (any ubuntu users in here)?
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/zope3

I use Ubuntu though I don't use the packaged version of Zope 3.

I'd recommend against using Grok against this version of Zope 3. It's
*possible* that most of Grok might work, but Grok is being developed
against a specific of Zope 3 sub-packages that is likely newer than the
packaged versions in Ubuntu, so we aren't supporting this scenario.

What might be possible is to take various grokcore.* packages and use
those with that installed Zope 3 version. grokcore.component will likely
work, and it's quite possible some of the other packages might also
work. It does require some knowledge of Zope 3 in order to use it.

It *is* possible to install Grok on your system independently from the
packaged Zope 3 version. In this case Grok would work completely
independently of the system-installed Zope 3 package however.

To do this, you need to use virtualenv (with the --no-site-packages
option). Here's a tutorial:

http://grok.zope.org/documentation/how-to/using-virtualenv-for-a-clean-grok-installation