[Grok-dev] Grok Wikipedia Entry Marked As Advertisement

David Bain david.bain at alteroo.com
Tue Jan 20 10:14:49 EST 2009

Possible rewrite:

Grok is a web framework based on Zope 3 technology. The project was
started in 2006 by a number of Zope 3 developers. Grok has since then
seen regular releases. Its core technologies (Martian,
grokcore.component) are also finding uptake in other Zope 3 and Zope 2
based projects.

The primary motive behind Grok is to simplify application development
on Zope 3 by creating an "approachable" framework. Grok is largely
influenced by agile programming paradigms. To achieve this, Grok gives
up some Zope 3 principles but manages to maintain the componentized
nature of Zope 3. Instead of using a strictly explicit, XML based
configuration language (ZCML) like Zope 3 does, Grok uses Python code
and conventions to build a web application from its components. This
is in contrast to other  Python web frameworks such as TurboGears,
Pylons and Django which do not take this approach.

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Reinout van Rees <reinout at vanrees.org> wrote:

> Paul Wilson schreef:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > It looks like a week ago the Grok project's wikipedia entry
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok_(software) has been marked as an
> > advertisement. I don't really know why this is however, it seems
> > impartial enough to me!
>
> "This way Grok is a step forward to popular Python web frameworks like
> TurboGears, Pylons and Django"
>
> That's the kind of wording that I regularly zap as plone.net reviewer.
> "We're the leading provider of plone in country XYZ" makes plone.net
> (the neutral resource) say that you're better than the other companies.
>
> Likewise, the wikipedia entry makes wikipedia say that grok is better
> than pylons and django. So I can imagine somebody regarding it as partial.
>

> You can list real differences, but you cannot make value statements
> without providing lots of supporting data :-)
>

> Reinout

SplashStart - Professional Websites. Starting Now.
http://www.splashstart.com