[Grok-dev] TypeError when adding an app from the tutorial

Alec Munro alecmunro at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 09:49:16 EST 2009

(I must be doing something wrong, it's inconceivable to me that Grok
actually has this many problems.)

So I'm trying to get some of my coworkers introduced to Grok, and I
tell them, "follow the tutorial". Of course, first I instruct them in
the changes they need to make to the dependencies and the buildout
configuration. Oh, and I warn them that running grokproject will
likely fail the first few times. But I figure it's smooth sailing
after that.

Unfortunately, no. They go to add an app, and:

  File "C:\Python26\lib\hmac.py", line 133, in new
    return HMAC(key, msg, digestmod)
  File "C:\Python26\lib\hmac.py", line 72, in __init__
    self.outer.update(key.translate(trans_5C))
TypeError: character mapping must return integer, None or unicode

After trying to add an app, this occurs if I try to visit
localhost:8080, or localhost:8080/applications.

What is wrong with the Grok release process that there are at least 4
non-trivial errors that people will encounter just following the
tutorial? Is Windows no longer a supported platform, or is Python 2.6
the problem? In either case, can't we do something so other people
won't run into these problems? I don't mean to offend anyone, it just
bothers me that my attempt to get Grok used here may be sunk by these
kinds of issues.