[Grok-dev] object relationships

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Jan 28 11:02:31 EST 2009

Hi there,

I'm going to answer quickly as I'm busy during a sprint to work on Grok
this week. You can use z3c.relationfield and build your own widget for
it instead of using z3c.relationfieldui. That is indeed intended to pop
up a page that allows you to select the object, and for a particular
application I've implemented such a page using hurry.explorer and JSON
stuff on the server, but since you say you just need a drop-down list
that'd be overkill. You'd need to write a new widget to select things
though (using zc.sourcefactory perhaps to provide a source to drop down
from).

I'm not sure whether the field supports the use of Choice here right
now, I'd need to do some experimenting there...

You also need to set up some definition of object paths in your
application by implementing the z3c.objpath utility. The system needs
this to deal with broken paths, and you also can use this in the
implementation of the widget (it'd be the token).

Hm, continue bugging me about this, but after this week, I'd be quite
interested in making z3c.relationfield support your use case.