[Grok-dev] naming the -ctl script after the project

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Jun 22 09:43:23 EDT 2009

Hi there,

I noticed grokproject started naming the -ctl script after the project.
I think this is a bad idea, for the following reasons:

* for each Grok-based project I need to figure out what the command is
now. I also need to build up new finger-feel for each project.

* It makes documentation that demonstrates how to start the app harder
to write.

I'm curious as to the motivations for this pattern. Is this because
people expect this script to be installed together with many other scripts?

If this is so, it'd be good to have documentation describing how to do
this.

I also would *still* recommend installing a generically named -ctl and
-debug script *in addition* to the unique names in that case.