[Grok-dev] Community Documentation

Tim Cook timothywayne.cook at gmail.com
Sun May 24 16:55:09 EDT 2009

Hi Sebastian,

On Sun, 2009-05-24 at 17:20 +0200, Sebastian Ware wrote:

> I'd be happy to team up with you on sketching out a simple editorial
> workflow so we could manage the user contributed content better. (I am
> not thinking along the terms of increasing the barrier of entry, just
> managing the content once it has been submitted)

Sounds perfect.

I have also applied to the Grok Website Google Groups mailing list.  Not
to do website design but to do documentation editing and organization as
well as to watch for things like outdated docs.

While authors put a lot of effort into writing good HOWTOs etc.  In a
fast moving environment like Grok/Zope they need to be maintained or to
be flagged as outdated or Expired.

As a new user, give me a HOWTO that is just what I need; only to spend
hours trying to make it work only to find out that it was developed
using a version that doesn't even exist anymore or is a year or two old
and you have just lost a new user.  OR even worse sometimes, it
generates questions on the mailing list that make no sense to the
current users and wastes their time trying to figure out what the new
user is even talking about.

I seemed too have publication access for about an hour and then it went
away again.  I know that I saw a glimpse of the Pending list but I have
no idea what is on it.  Once I/we get access we can develop some
policies offlist and then present them to the community for approval.

Your thoughts?

--Tim