[Grok-dev] Development of hurry.jquery

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Wed May 27 21:53:32 EDT 2009

Tim Cook wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-05-27 at 16:20 +0200, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> After reading the thread about hurry.extjs's licensing issues related to
>>> svn.zope.org etc., and after looking at hurry.yui, it still is not
>>> completely clear to me whether it is "safe" to check in hurry.jquery
>>> into svn.zope.org.
>> I think it's safe, given the MIT license. hurry.extjs's licensing is GPL
>> 3.0 only, and they're very conscious about who distributes extjs and so
>> on, so that sounded a bit too risky.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Martijn
>
> I may not understand all of the details here but it seems to me that you
> are making, in a round-about way (via it being a requirement of
> hurry.jquery?), a GPL licensed library a requirement of using Grok.  Is
> this true?

I think you misunderstood.  hurry.jquery does not depend on YUI or
extjs.  hurry.jquery only depends on jquery, which is liberally licensed.

> If that is so, are we not flirting with the edge of legalities (those
> gray areas) when it comes to building and distributing commercial
> applications based on Grok; even though the library is retrieved from
> somewhere else besides the Zope servers?

I think you'll find that the Zope community is actually very careful
with legal stuff.  For instance, there is a whole body of code written
for Plone that has never moved down the stack due to the GPL.

Shane