[Grok-dev] Grok should run on python 2.6

Michael Haubenwallner michael at d2m.at
Thu Nov 5 02:21:22 EST 2009

Kevin Teague wrote:
> mmm, adding Python 2.6 support would be nice.
>
> Here are the versions that I'm using to override the Grok 1.0 versions
> to get Python 2.6 compatibility:
>
> mechanize = 0.1.9
> zope.app.appsetup = 3.8.0
> zope.app.component = 3.5.0
> zope.app.container = 3.6.1
> zope.app.testing = 3.5.6
> zope.testbrowser = 3.5.1
> zope.session = 3.8.1
>
> But AFAIK the Zope Toolkit is also Python 2.6 compatible, so when
> that's ready (I haven't been following the status of the ZTK to
> closely yet) migrating Grok to ZTK will also provide 2.6
> compatibility.
>
> It'd be nice to be able to do these migrations piecemeal, first do the
> work to bump a Grok app to Python 2.6, then do the work to migrate the
> app to ZTK 1.0. Well, obviously through the magic of Buildout it's
> already easy to do this, but doing a Grok release which just bumps the
> packages just enough to get to 2.6 would be good.

Kevin, thank you for your information. I just needed to add the next
possible release of zope.app.form to your versions listing - there is no
more zope.app.component.back35 in zope.app.component3.5.0.
Here is my config to run with Python 2.6

[buildout]
extends = buildout.cfg

[versions]
mechanize = 0.1.9
zope.app.appsetup = 3.8.0
zope.app.component = 3.5.0
zope.app.container = 3.6.1
zope.app.form = 3.6.3
zope.app.testing = 3.5.6
zope.testbrowser = 3.5.1
zope.session = 3.8.1

This makes at least a Grok trunk checkout build, test and run under
Python 2.6.

Btw, i changed etc/site.zcml.in too, as the grok.View permission is not
existing anymore.

I wonder how these changes will work with existing projects though.

It would be nice to get some hints on how to migrate the trunk to ZTK 1.0

Regards
Michael

- --
http://blog.d2m.at