[Grok-dev] grokproject pins setuptools, zc.buildout et.al.

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Tue Nov 10 06:32:55 EST 2009

Roger Erens, on 2009-11-10:
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 19:17, Maurits van Rees
><m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl> wrote:
>> Sebastien Douche, on 2009-11-06:
>>>
>>> It could be great to use buildout to pin minimum versions and let
>>> setup.py empty.
>>
>> -1.  That would just mean you allow a user to pick a version that you
>> know is not going to work.
>
> I don't understand; can you elaborate? I mean, someone who can edit
> buildout.cfg is also able to edit setup.py. Or isn't that the issue?

If the setup.py is in your own package, say a package you wrote for a
client: sure.

But here the point is that for example the setup.py in the official
grok egg should *not* pin exact versions (and for the record: it does
not currently).  If we had for example said in the setup.py
"install_requires=['setuptools==0.6c9']" then someone who wanted to
use setuptools 0.6c11 would be *forced* to edit the setup.py of their
local copy of the grok egg and that is not good.

Is that clearer?

Cheers,

            Work | http://zestsoftware.nl/