[Grok-dev] libraries to use with Grok

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Nov 17 02:07:36 EST 2009

Hi there,

Steve Schmechel made the suggestion that we should have a clear page in
our documentation that lists libraries that are useful to use with Grok.
Preferably we document how they are used with Grok, but just a link to
the library and its documentation would be useful already to newcomers.

It also helps us to create a good list of candidates of libraries that
we may want to include in Grok itself eventually.

So, I'll kick off with a listsof libraries that I use. Off the top of my
head. Many of them I've created myself or helped create, so it's a bit
self-serving perhaps. :)

hurry.resource, hurry.zoperesource

Automatic declarative inclusion of Javascript and CSS resources into web
pages.

hurry.yui, hurry.jquery, hurry.tinymce

Packaged Javascript libraries for hurry.resource

z3c.saconfig

Integrates SQLAlchemy with the Zope component architecture. Builds on
zope.sqlalchemy for transaction integration.

megrok.rdb

A way to create SQLAlchemy-based applications with Grok. Builds on
z3c.saconfig

traject, megrok.traject

Routing for Grok (as opposed to traversal)

z3c.relationfield and z3c.relationfieldui

Schema fields that are indexed in a relation catalog (using zc.relation)

z3c.schema2xml

Convert schema-defined objects to XML and back again.

lxml

For all my XML processing needs.

zc.table

Generate tables. I don't use this much anymore, as I've moved to more
javascript-driven tables (such as YUI's datatable), but used it a lot in
the past. (note that it depends on zc.resourcelibrary which conflicts
with hurry.resource, you can trick your away around it..)

xlrd, xlwd

Read and write Excel spreadsheets.

hurry.workflow

A workflow system

hurry.file

A file upload widget that allows the form to be reloaded if there are
validation errors and the file is still there.

hurry.query

An easier way to compose catalog queries.

z3c.blobfile

Store a File object using the ZODB blob storage.

Then there are of course many of the libraries in the ZTK, that are
directly included by Grok. We should make a list of those ZTK apis we
find ourselves using in our application (to pull into Grok or just
document), but that's a separate project.