[Grok-dev] Cannot easyinstall grokproject

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Thu Sep 10 06:18:01 EDT 2009

Hi Milind,

Milind Khadilkar wrote:

> I have only one installation of python.

Okay, that makes things easier :-)

> The path to _socket in my python installation matches yours:
> 'c:\\python25\\DLLs\\_socket.pyd'
>
> In the virtual environment, sys.path is:
> (vgrok) C:\vgrok>python
> Python 2.5.4 (r254:67916, Dec 23 2008, 15:10:54) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
> (Intel)] on
> win32
> ['', 'C:\\vgrok\\lib\\site-packages\\setuptools-0.6c9-py2.5.egg', 'c:\
> \python25\
> \lib', 'C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\python25.zip', 'C:\\vgrok\\DLLs', 'C:\
> \vgrok\\lib
> ', 'C:\\vgrok\\lib\\plat-win', 'C:\\vgrok\\lib\\lib-tk', 'C:\\vgrok\
> \Scripts', '
> C:\\vgrok', 'C:\\vgrok\\lib\\site-packages']
> >>>

> There is no _socket in the DLLs folder of the virtual environment; the
> \Python25\DLLs is not in the path of the virtual environment.

Ah, this seems to be the problem, thanks! In my virtualenv this Folder
(Python25\DLLs\) is included in sys.path (additionally to \sandbox
\DLLs). That's strange, because I created the sandbox also with
--no-site-packages switch. Which version of virtualenv are you using?
You can find out with

  virtualenv -h

I used 1.3.3 last time.

Can you check whether it helps to upgrade virtualenv, in case you do not
have the latest installed? This should be possible by

  easy_install -U virtualenv

If afterwards everything works (old sandboxes would stay broken, you'd
need to copy you projects to a fresh sandbox and run bootstrap.py and
bin/bootstrap.exe of the project again), please tell, so that we can
update the docs accordingly.

If you have the latest virtualenv installed already, then I currently
have no clue. You could copy the contents of \Python25\DLLs to \vgrok
\DLLs but this would hardly be a real solution.

> I am currently using grok installed directly on my "real" python
> environment.

If you have no problems with it, then it's fine :-) But we should solve
this virtualenv issue anyway, although it is not Grok or Zope-based.

Best regards,

--
Uli