[Grok-dev] OT: http response code 103

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 03:25:57 EDT 2009

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:
> from the "i'm going slightly mad"-department
>
> One of our Grok-based apps is running behind an Apache frontend, where
> Apache is instructed to cache the repsonses (I know, I know, I should
> really be using nginx and varnish etc. etc. :) ).
>
> Everything is running fine, except for one thing: occasionally we see a
> HTTP status code of 103 in the Apache access log files.
>
> I have never heard of a status 103... Googling does not really lead to
> anything useful either. I couldn't find anything related to status codes
> and "103" when grepping through Zope's sources nor in Apache's sources
> (2.2.13). It seems not related to one particular user agent nor referer.
> It does happen for resources and for "normal" views. I'm stumped...
>
> Anyone ever saw a status code 103 ??

Got it...

Somehow mod_cache was involved in this. Whenever a connection to a
cached resource was interrupted before the response was fully read by
the user agent, some return value in the mod_cache code trickles through
to apache itself and shows up as a status code in the log lines.

If you really want to know more:

   http://jw.n--tree.net/blog/2009/9/23/http-status-code-103

Sorry for the noise.
regards,