[Grok-dev] windows eggs for Grok 1.1

Steve Schmechel steveschmechel at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 15 17:14:45 EDT 2010

I use Ubuntu also, with Python 2.6 as the default system installation.
Adding Python 2.5 as another "non-default" installation works fine on the current version (Karmic 9.10).

Make sure to add "python-virtualenv" from the repository and create a virtual environment for your project using the "--python=python2.5" flag (along with "--no-site-packages").

I would recommend *always* using virtual-env, even if your system Python matches your development target version.

http://grok.zope.org/documentation/how-to/using-virtualenv-for-a-clean-grok-installation

I am not sure about what will happen with Lucid 10.04 and beyond.
I would imagine that some back-ported package will appear that will allow coexistence with the current Python version.  Another option would be to simply build your own private copy of Python and use that directly with your project.

http://bluedynamics.com/articles/jens/build-python-in-buildout

Regards,
Steve