[Grok-dev] adding ZPL.txt to the various grokcore.* libraries

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Sat Feb 13 09:26:02 EST 2010

Hi there,

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> We need to add the ZPL.txt to various grokcore.* libraries, as we
> distribute them independently. We need to make sure that when we upload
> a .tgz to pypi, the ZPL.txt is included.
>
> I've made a launchpad issue out of this, and any volunteers are welcome.
>   It should be a simple task.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/grok/+bug/519405

This afternoon I took the liberty to browse all grokcore.*, megrok.*,
grokui.* and grokproject packages on svn.zope.org for missing license
files and added one where it was missing.

I just copied over the LICENSE.txt from grok and sticked with the name.
Must this file really be named 'ZPL.txt'? If so, I am volunteering to
change all the filenames.

While doing this, I noticed 28 packages without any license file (partly
mentioning the ZPL in setup.py). This packages now have a LICENSE.txt:

grokproject
grokui.base
grokui.quickstart
megrok.chameleon
megrok.cheetah
megrok.feeds
megrok.form
megrok.genshi
megrok.icon
megrok.jinja
megrok.kss
megrok.menu
megrok.quarry
megrok.rdb
megrok.rdf
megrok.resource
megrok.resourcelibrary
megrok.resourceviewlet
megrok.responseheaders
megrok.trails
megrok.traject
megrok.z3cform
megrok.z3cform.base
megrok.z3cform.composed
megrok.z3cform.layout
megrok.z3cform.tabular
megrok.z3cform.ui
megrok.z3cform.wizard

Then, I found 8 packages, that declared the GPL as their license in
setup.py:

megrok.resource
megrok.resourceviewlet
megrok.z3cform.base
megrok.z3cform.composed
megrok.z3cform.layout
megrok.z3cform.tabular
megrok.z3cform.ui
megrok.z3cform.wizard

For these packages I _switched_ the license statement in setup.py to
ZPL. I hope you don't mind, but if one of the authors does not agree
with this step, please step up! AFAIK, code hosted on svn.zope.org must
be ZPL-licensed.

Finally there were two packages without any license mentioned in
setup.py:

megrok.feeds
megrok.strictrequire

Here I set the license marker to 'ZPL 2.1'.

Overall, now all megrok.*, grokcore.*, grokproject, grokui.* packages
hosted on svn.zope.org have a license file and ZPL mentioned in
setup.py.

Best regards,

--
Uli