[Grok-dev] Getting started with developing Grok

Paul Wilson paulalexwilson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 13:00:45 EST 2010

On 15 February 2010 17:33, Simon Jagoe <simon.jagoe at pragmagility.com> wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> I do have rights to the SVN repository and I have a checkout of all
> grok* packages. I'll simply start looking through them (I have
> started with grokcore.component) in an effort to understand grok.

Okay - cool. If I were to "understand grok", I would:

 * First understand martian: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/martian (I
wouldn't bother looking at the code, unless you REALLY have to)
 * Next understand Grok configuration:
http://exploring-grok.blogspot.com/2009/01/grok-configuration-phase-and-its.html
 * Make sure you understand the concept of adapters

Brandon Rhodes did some great work with the doc-strings across Grok,
so be sure to read those too.

The test work involves a package called manuel.fakemodule, so you
could also take a look at:

 * http://packages.python.org/manuel/
 * http://pypi.python.org/pypi/manuelpi.fakemodule

Additionally, I assume you're familiar with SVN?

That should keep you busy until I complete the tutorial. :-)

Thanks!
Paul