[Grok-dev] groktoolkit: z3c.pt and chameleon issues

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Wed Feb 24 18:08:43 EST 2010

Hi there,

Souheil CHELFOUH wrote:
> I'd rather dump the dependency as well
>
> 2010/2/24 Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com>:
> >
> > Uli Fouquet wrote:
> >> What can I do here? Is it okay to decrease the listed Chameleon version
> >> in groktoolkit to 1.0.8?
> >>
> >> Or would it be better to remove support for the 'exists' evaluator
> >> (which in Python might not make much sense anyway) and get rid of z3c.pt
> >> dependency at all?
> >
> > In principle I'm in favor of dumping this dependency if indeed it's so
> > lightweight. Aren't we doing more though? What about, say, i18n
> > integration?

I am relatively sure, that 'exists' would really be the only thing
affected by removing z3c.pt.

i18n is in principle also supported by Chameleon, but not specifically
supported in megrok.chameleon. You can use translations as shown by
Sylvain before: simply define a ``namespace`` method in your i18n-ed
view returning something like {'translation-language': 'de'}. This is
certainly a field of possible improvements for megrok.chameleon, but I'd
tend to concentrate on Chameleon-geared support (i.e. all support should
come via Chameleon, not any z3c helper package if avoidable).

Viewlets etc. would still be supported.

Furthermore, in the docs there was already a warning about possibly
kicking z3c.pt in the future. So nobody should be too surprised.

> > If this turns out to be a lot of work, then decrease Chameleon to an
> > older version.
> >
> > Pinging Malthe would be good if indeed we end up needing an update to
> > z3c.pt, of course.

Sure, I'll do this anyway.

> > My goal for Chameleon integration with Grok would be to have as few
> > indirections as we can get away with when Chameleon is used.

Thanks for the input! This means that most probably support for the
'exists' expression will be dropped in next megrok.chameleon release.

This is your last chance to complain and/or propose better solutions :-)

Best regards,

--
Uli