[Grok-dev] Grok 1.1 important issues

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 09:50:28 EST 2010

Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
> Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:
> [snip]
>> What would be the correct release order: first release grok and then the
>> groktoolkit, or first the groktoolkit (that then would still refer to an
>> older  grok) and release grok just after that. I guess the latter...?
>
> You mean to put groktoolkit.cfg online? Will you release it as
> grok-1.1.cfg in releaseinfo?
>
> I'm fine with releasing all the versions that the groktoolkit mentions
> and then releasing the groktoolkit itself. What would be the problem
> with that order?

Ok, what I will do:

1) release Grok 1.1rc1
2) update the groktoolkit to refer to this 1.1rc1
3) release the groktoolkit as 1.1rc1 as well
4) upload the grok.cfg from the groktoolkit to
   http://grok.zope.org/releaseinfo/grok-1.1rc.cfg

Important remark:

The grokproject tool download the releaseinfo/grok-1.1rc1.cfg file into the
newly created project as a versions.cfg file to support offline building.

The grok.cfg in the groktoolkit extends the ztk.cfg in the zopetoolkit and if we
upload it to releaseinfo/grok-1.1rc.cfg without modifications, we will break the
offline building possbility, since the downloaded file will still extend the
ztk.cfg file.

In other words, I think the grok.cfg file in a groktoolkit _release_ needs to
include the versions of the zopetoolkit and not extend the ztk.cfg.

This will be a extra step in the release proces. When doing the release I'll
change the release notes accordingly.

regards,
jw