[Grok-dev] Grok 1.1 important issues

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Feb 25 17:22:04 EST 2010

Hi there,

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:
> Couldn't grokproject depend on zc.buildout itself?

+1 to do that. We already depend on zc.buildout with z3c.autoinclude and
that works fine.

> This would (maybe) solve two things:
>
> 1) Simplify the ugly dance in grokproject.util where buildout functionality is
> invoked as well.
>
> 2) We could maybe make use of buildout functionality in grokproject to retrieve
> the version requirements as buildout can, obviously, recurse through the extends
> directives. We would then not have to flatten zopetoolkit's ztk.cfg and
> zopeapp.cfg and groktoolkit's grok.cfg version parts into one file...

So are you suggesting that grokproject simply sinstalls ztk.cfg,
zopeapp.cfg and grok.cfg into a new project? (and possibly the grok
ecosystem too). They wouldn't contain any extends; that'd be up to the
buildout.cfg to extend from all of them.

By the way, there's a [buildout] section in grok.cfg. I think that
should be removed, in favor of doing the extends in buildout.cfg.

I'd be +1 on that. Seems like the easiest to understand approach for
those installing Grok.

grokproject folks? Any idea on how to get this going? Can we retain
backwards compatibility?