[Grok-dev] view predicates in Grok?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Jan 1 17:52:52 EST 2010

Hi there,

I saw the following blog entry by Chris McDonough about the use of view
predicates (in addition to adapter lookup, if I understand right) for
view lookups. I thought this an interesting idea, so thanks Chris for
describing it and Malthe for doing the explorations.

http://www.plope.com/Members/chrism/bfg_view_dispatch

I think it would be interesting to explore adding such a facility to the
view lookup mechanism in grok.

I'm asking for volunteers to:

* investigate how BFG's implementation works, and whether it can reused
and/or extracted somehow. (if extracted we'll need to figure out where
we can maintain the extracted bits, i.e. what are the possible rights
issues around importing this into svn.zope.org?).

* come up with some idea on what this might look like in Grok.
Additional directive to be used in grok.View, perhaps, but what this
looks like really depends on the previous explorations.

* explore whether patterns in Grok cannot be implemented more easily
with view predicates, such as REST-based lookups (which might be done
with a dispatch on request_param)

I'll of course be interested in exploring this myself as well, so do
please report progress here on the mailing list.

Anyone?