[Grok-dev] ubuntu and installing Grok

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Jul 8 08:50:09 EDT 2010

Hi there,

I recently reinstalled my Ubuntu and I figured instead of installing
virtualenv manually I'd install it through the ubuntu package manager.

And then whenever I started up Grok it would ask me for the following
question:

Speech Dispatcher configuration tool
Do you want to setup a completely new configuration? [yes] :

I'd seen that before; apparently Ubuntu installations by default come
with a module speechd_config, and importing that module will trigger this.

But I was in a virtualenv with --no-site-packages and *still* seeing the
problem.

I dug into it a little and it appears z3c.autoinclude triggers this
problem when it thrawls through 'setuptools', which, because it's a
dependency of python-virtualenv, also got installed by Ubuntu.
Apparently z3c.autoinclude thinks it should look for zcml to include in
all packages in the setuptools distribution, or something like that. I
haven't dug any further yet. Hopefully a bug fix is possible in
z3c.autoinclude.

This does all lead us to a serious installation problem in Ubuntu; if
you install virtualenv or, I think, setuptools, through the system
package manager, you can't actually run Grok!

P.S. I wish buildout came with a release that provided real isolation
from site-packages; not sure whether that would fix this issue, but the
feature seems to be in limbo forever.