[Grok-dev] how to manage the versions files, a plan

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 14:08:13 EST 2010

Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
> Okay, the naming is a bit of a drawback, though it might also discourage
> people from modifying them directly (instead of modifying a versions
> section in buildout.cfg), which is good.
>
> So I'm +1 on going with the extends-cache route for grokproject.

Me is +1 as well.

> Who is volunteering to do the work? :)

I'll adjust grokproject to have it include an extends-cache directive in
newly generated buildout.cfg files. I'll also revert to the code that used
to generate an extends directive pointing to the most current version info
URL. The code that currently would download a versions.cfg can then be
removed.  I like that: removing code and make things simpler again :-)

Let me also remember to update the upgrade docs for existing projects.

regards,
jw