[Grok-dev] remove the download tarball functionality from grokproject?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Mar 2 11:20:10 EST 2010

Hi there,

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> You could also host a simple index on grok.zope.org with just the
> necessary packages. BFG, Plone and Pylons do that as welll and it seems
> to work for them.

I quote myself earlier in the thread:

 > Alternatively, we could introduce some reliability by running our own
 > mirrored package index on grok.zope.org. That just sounds too
 > "special" and cumbersome for us to maintain though.

As far as I understand, BFG hosts an index that includes only the
packages needed for BFG, but if you need any other packages that aren't
on that index, you're on your own. Is that correct?

We want the system to fall back on PyPI for other packages, otherwise
how are people going to install a library that isn't in that index? I
imagine if you use easy_install you just easy install it from another
index, but we use buildout.

We *could* set up an infrastructure like the original Zope 3 KGS that
mirrors pypi too, but that's where the "too special and cumbersome"
thing comes in.