[Grok-dev] switching of fgrok warnings on startup

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Thu May 20 04:48:06 EDT 2010

Hi there,

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>
> > Can you make that warning log at a level that isn't normally shown for
> > grok 1.1.1? It's not a terribly important (or useful) warning, so there
> > should not be any harm.
>
> That's a good idea.
>
> It's a useful warning if it actually works (just to encourage not
> leaving dead code around), but it's indeed not very important. I'd be
> willing to do away with this warning at normal warning levels.
>
> Could you look into this, Uli? I think it requires a new grokcore.view.
> We'd also need a bit of documentation somewhere saying how to turn up
> the warning level in case people are interested in this.
>
> Then when we're at Grok 1.2, we can turn the warning back on.

After a quick look into this I am a bit stuck with the best technique to
tell, that a user _wants_ warnings. To be more precisely: what is the
best way to tell 'the system' to display the warnings?

Telling it via zope.conf seems not to be an option: we had to
reintroduce dependecies like zope.app.appsetup, etc., and could not
easily separate "deployment-runs" from "debug-runs".

Setting it via an environment variable might work:

  $ GROKWARNINGS=1 paster serve parts/etc/deploy.ini

and grokcore.view could check for this var before disabling warnings.

But is there an option to set such environment vars via deploy.ini,
debug.ini? Any paster-geeks in here?

Or are there any other ideas how to tell 'the system' (not) to emit
warnings?

Best regards,

--
Uli