[Grok-dev] Grok 1.2 upgrade issue with zope.principalannotation

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 05:25:28 EDT 2010

Hi,

Today Jan-Jaap and me were trying to upgrade an application to Grok 1.2
and ran into a problem.

In the root site manager of the database of this application there is a
IPrincipalAnnotationsUtility registered. This utility used to be
automatically added to a database when the application starts for the
very first time and the database is initialized. It was added since
zope.(app.)prinicipalannotation used to be an indirect dependency for
Grok thru zope.app.zcmlfiles.

Grok 1.2 however does not indirectly depend on
zope.(app.)principalannotation anymore. This means applications with
existing database might not start.

In our case this issue was solved by explicitly listing
zope.principalannotation as a dependency for our applications. Even
though we do not use the functionality in there. In our case we might
decide to remove the utility from the database and the remove the
dependency again.

Should grok perhaps list zope.principannotation as a dependency?

regards, jw