[Grok-dev] buildout 1.5.x and virtualenv: grokproject improvements

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Sep 8 09:30:02 EDT 2010

Hi there,

Right now we have a bug with grokproject and buildout 1.5.x, but that is
not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about a future step.

It is my understanding that buildout 1.5.x contains improvements that
allow isolation from the system site-packages (really great, thanks
Gary!). This would allow us to safely install Grok without instructing
people to use virtualenv first.

I think we should move towards releasing a new version of grokproject
that uses this approach. We should however test first whether this
doesn't *break* in a virtualenv, otherwise people using the old
instructions will have difficulties.

The ZTK still has a pin to an older version of buildout. If it's going
to stick to buildout 1.4.x, we should be able to override this by
requiring 1.5.x in the grok toolkit.

If everything then works, we should then also go through our published
installation documentation and remove the virtualenv step. It's really
awesome we can finally dump that rather redundant step.