[Grok-dev] megrok.chameleon, next steps

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 08:23:05 EDT 2011

Hi,

Ok, it is clear we need to work on megrok.chameleon. I think these are
the issues brought up by people in the previous discussion-thread:

1) the dependency on z3c.pt is perceived as unwanted by some people, but
at the same time Uli explains[1] why it was added back as dependency.

We need to decide to either a) get rid of z3c.pt and move the necessary
glue code into megrok.chameleon, or b) to trust the current
z3c.pt-rewrite and its maintainer and use it. Votes please.

2) there's an issue for switching the auto-reloading of changed template
files on and off. I understand Chameleon does this by looking for
environment variables, however glue layers can signal their own idea of
auto-reloading when pagetemplate file objects are instantiated,
overriding the environment variable.

So, again, we need to decide: a) we use an environment variable specific
to chameleon, or b) we provide in the megrok.chameleon glue layer a
different way to signal auto-reloading that then can be reused by other
component that want different behaviour in development mode[2]. Votes
please.

regards, jw

[1] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.zope.grok.devel/11086
[2] for example by making use of Grok's (Zope's) devmode flag.