[Grok-dev] "static" library registration. Was: towards a Grok release: current state of affairs

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 05:41:56 EST 2011

On 1/6/11 16:18 PM, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> >           The advantage of 1) is that there's one clear way for
>> >           registering libraries of resources, even if people need to learn
>> >           that this "registration" is now not done automatically anymore
>> >           *and*  is different from other ways of registering components in
>> >           Grok. Another advantage is, that there is no hard dependency
>> >           for grokcore.view on Fanstatic.
>> >
>> >           The advantage of 2) is that the current behaviour of the
>> >           "static" directory is kept as closely as possible. Even if there
>> >           would now be in fact two ways for registering libraries of
>> >           resources in Grok. With such a grokker we would also introduce a
>> >           hard dependency on Fanstatic.
>> >
> I'm in favor of 2), to preserve the compatibility. I think in the case
> that someone really wants to extract a reusable library, they can go
> all-Fanstatic themselves. It's also Grok's job to automate registration
> tasks, and I think this includes Fanstatic registration tasks. I think
> it's okay for grokcore.view to rely on Fanstatic. Can we drop the
> dependency on zope.browserresource when we do that?

and

On 1/7/11 16:56 PM, Jan-Jaap Driessen wrote:
> When resources are referenced from ZPT through the static attribute of
> the view, all is jolly good. However, when I want define
> fanstatic.Resource instances in order to 'need()' them in a view, I
> don't have a reference to the Library object

After much more deliberation, we do not see clear way around the
implication Jan-Jaap found when implementing solution 2):

When we register a fanstatic.Library from a StaticGrokker, there will be
no reference to this Library and thus no fanstatic.Resource instances
can be defined for this library in the application that is being
developed (I'm not talking about extracting reusable libraries of
resources here).

An application developer then would need to define his own Library for
his set of need()-able resources, and a quite obvious name for this
Library would be to choose the name of application package he is
developing. This name would then clash with the automatically registered
Library name.

This clash would not be so obvious if he were to refer to the directory
called "static" in his newly created Library instance, as things would
probably continue to work  - the fanstatic library registry is basically
a dict, so the last one to register there, would "win".

If this developer were to refer to another directory in his project
however, the static *attribute* on views would not have access to
resources in the directory called "static" anymore, as the Library
registered under the package name suddenly is the one created by the
developer.

At this point, I'm inclined too, to have grokproject generate a setup.py
that sets up an entry point, and have it generate code that defines a
Library instance for the directory called "static" in the newly created
project.

We will of course need to write upgrade documentation for people who
want to upgrade from a an earlier grok to the one that will contain
fanstatic integration. This upgrade documentation will essentially tell
to add entry points to the project's setup.py and how to define the
corresponding Library instances.

regards, jw