[Grok-dev] bootstrap error [was: Relooking at Grok]

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Tue Jul 17 10:29:45 UTC 2012

Hi Sylvain,

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 09:34:42 +0200 Sylvain Viollon wrote:

> Op 16 jul 2012, om 12:43 heeft Uli Fouquet het volgende geschreven:
>
>> Hi Sylvain,
>>

>    Hello,
>
> [...]
>
>> If installing a virtualenv is still recommended (and from my point of
>> view it is), we could make it the default (turning ``--virtualenv`` into
>> ``--no-virtualenv``).
>>
>> Beside this we might want an additional ``--download-base`` option to
>> allow download from other locations than PyPI.
>>
>> What would be the cons/side-effects?
>>

>    I don't know if you want to enable the virtualenv by default. The issue is that
> sometimes you want to be able to use packages that are inside your site-package,
> because you can't install them with buildout/setuptools: they often contains C code
> and hardcode the includes and libraries directories to some stupid and non-standard
> paths, or things in the same order of magnitude.

One could use --no-virtualenv in that case.

>    Of course you can't patch the egg before you install so the installation becomes possible
> under your system, and all you can do is edit the setup.py, fix it, make a specific version,
> upload the egg on some site you can after refer in your buildout. But of course this is way
> too complicated when users just wanted to install your software, however you can ask
> them to just install the corresponding package for the egg that is provided by their
> operating system/distribution. Of course after they can have installed something that pulled
> in dependencies that you have, with different version, and here again buildout fails.
> But for me that case happens less often.
>
>    And yes of course, you have as well the problem of the different version of setuptools
> in your system.
>
>    So I don't really know where to stand here.

Overall, good points. Then let's do what means less work.

My problem with the --virtualenv option: it's normally very easy to get
virtualenv installed and when I have it in my system, I'd prefer to pass
options like --no-site-packages, the interpreter, etc. manually. This
way I know better what's going on, can do tests with different Python
versions simultanously, etc. It's simply more transparent for me to
virtualenv myself.

I'd therefore +0.5 for leaving it the way it is.

Best regards,

--
Uli