[Grok-dev] grok problems using https behind apache using mod_wsgi

Päivi Rosenström paivi.rosenstrom at helsinki.fi
Tue Oct 9 08:19:19 UTC 2012

Hi!

I'm beginner with grok and I try to set grok to run behind apache
using wsgi. I run into following problems.

Application developed using grok runs smoothly with paster server.  I
also managed to get it run behind Apache with mod_wsgi while
connecting the application  using http.  But while attempting to
connect with https, the next click sets the protocol back to http.
This was with the configuration where application could have been used
either by http or https.

After this I attempted to force the application to use https with the
following Apache configuration:

httpd.conf:
Global section:
WSGIPythonHome /usr
WSGISocketPrefix /var/run/wsgi

<VirtualHost *:80>
          ServerName application.domain.com
          WSGIDaemonProcess grok user=xxx group=xxx threads=4
  maximum-requests=10000 python-eggs=/tmp/python-eggs
          WSGIProcessGroup grok
          RewriteEngine on
          RewriteCond %{SERVER_PORT} 80
          RewriteRule   ^/(.*)$  https://application.domain.com/$1
[QSA,NC,R,L]
</VirtualHost>
ssl.conf:
<VirtualHost *:443>
         ServerName application.domain.com
         SSLEngine On
         SSLCertificateFile /etc/pki/tls/certs/xxxxxxx.crt
         SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/pki/tls/private/xxxxxxxx

         WSGIScriptAlias / /home/xxx/xxx/parts/wsgi_app/wsgi
         WSGIProcessGroup grok
         WSGIPassAuthorization On
         WSGIScriptReloading On
</VirtualHost>

Problem with this is that I'm able to browse the pages and I get log
information concerning it, but attempt to use forms in the application
does nothing = no error messages to logs (grok logs, or apache logs)
but no functionality also !

So any help would be appreciated. I really need to get the application
working using https. Is there a way to tell grok to use only https? or
do I need some wsgi middleware to get this work ? Or is there only
something wrong with my Apache configuration ?

Thanks in advance !

Päivi Rosenström