[Grok-dev] zope.app.appsetup and error reporting utility

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 10:49:59 UTC 2013

On 3/4/13 11:18 AM, Sylvain Viollon wrote:
>> This error reporting utility could go in grokcore.error.
>
> Error reporting should be pluggable, and you should have the
> possibility to have different backend, one or multiple used at once.
>
> I experimented with this in infrae.wsgi, the idea is to have the
> possibility to log in more complicated systems, like sentry, while
> keeping the maximum of information on your request, without monkey
> patching.

Indeed. The whole reason for this vague proposal is being able to log
exceptions to sentry.

We have now have a prototype of a sentry-aware error reporting utility
(ERU), that decorates the log records being emitted with sentry-specific
information.

So, it is still the sentry-aware *log handler* that actually pushes the
errors to sentry, but the "extra" information useful to sentry is added
to the log records by the sentry-aware ERU.

I'll try to move this forward a little more, by first getting these
prototypes I have right now into testing and production in our apps and
step-by-step move the code to grok (the package) and grokcore.error.

regards, jw