[Grok-dev] Upgrading grok project

Christopher Lozinski lozinski at freerecruiting.com
Sat Aug 15 17:50:23 CEST 2015

The last pypi release of grokproject was 2013-02-14 Version 2.9.
That makes the grok ecosystem look dead.   But in fact grok is quite
alive.   The most recent
version of grok on github is June 11, 2015

https://github.com/zopefoundation/grok

So I am working on releasing a new version of grok project.

First I looked at the different versions on github.    The pypi version
is newer than any of the branches, on github, so I assume that it is the
newest version.

This email documents my progress.  I am doing it for several reasons.
If anyone wants to help me get past the current bug that would be
great.  Skip down to the dashed line.
"--------"  If someone wants to work with me on this it makes makes it
easy for them to follow in my footsteps.  And in the worst case, if I do
not succeed on this attempt, I can refer to this document in the future.

I  could create a github fork, although I am not yet editing grok
project.  First I am trying to figure out what needs to be done to the
installed software.

FOR READABILITY COMMENTS ARE IN CAPITALS

INSTALL A GROK PROJECT
#grokproject grokup

 UPDATE BUILDOUT.CFG.  IT REFERS TO:
extends = http://grok.zope.org/releaseinfo/1.5.5/versions.cfg

A QUICK GOOGLE SEARCH SHOWS THAT THE NEWEST  RELEASE OF GROK PROJECT
WAS RELEASED JUNE 11, 2015

https://github.com/zopefoundation/groktoolkit/blob/master/grok.cfg

I CAN GET THE RAW DATA FILES HERE:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/zopefoundation/groktoolkit/master/grok.cfg

OF COURSE AS MASTER CHANGES THAT WILL CHANGE.  THAT IS NOT GOOD.  I AM
NOT SURE HOW TO PIN IT TO A PARTICULAR VERSION OF THE MASTER FILES. I
DONT USE GITHUB MUCH.   NOR CAN I COPY TO THE ZOPE MASTER WEB PAGES

SO I COPIED THAT LINE INTO BUILDOUT.CFG, DETEDED THE extends-cache CONTENTS
AND RERAN

python buildout.py

AND AS EXPECTED IT DID NOT WORK

The constraint, 2.3.1, is not consistent with the requirement,
'zc.buildout<2dev'

Error: Bad constraint 2.3.1 zc.buildout<2dev

ANOTHER GOOGLE SEARCH, AND I FOUND THIS NICE PAGE
PLONE DOCS ARE ALWAYS SO HELPFUL

http://docs.plone.org/develop/plone-coredev/issues.html

WHICH SAID:

python bootstrap.py --version=1.5.1

AND THAT WORKED.
ONTO THE NEXT STEP

bin/buildout

AGAIN AN ERROR
  # bin/buildout
While:
  Installing.
Error: Buildout now includes 'buildout-versions' (and part of the older 'buildout.dumppickedversions').
Remove the extension from your configuration and look at the 'show-picked-versions' option in buildout's documentation.
[virtual] root at ejr0:/usr/local/grokup #

-------------

SO I COMMENTED OUT THE EXTENTION LINE IN buildout.cfg
AND RERAN

# bin/buildout

AND OF COURSE IT ALSO FAILED.  BUT AT THIS POINT I AM ONCE AGAIN STUCK.
Develop: '/usr/local/grokup/.'
While:
  Installing.
  Getting section app.
  Initializing section app.

An internal error occurred due to a bug in either zc.buildout or in a
recipe being used:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/root/.buildout/eggs/zc.buildout-2.3.1-py2.7.egg/zc/buildout/buildout.py", line 1946, in main
    getattr(buildout, command)(args)
  File "/root/.buildout/eggs/zc.buildout-2.3.1-py2.7.egg/zc/buildout/buildout.py", line 510, in install
    [self[part]['recipe'] for part in install_parts]
  File "/root/.buildout/eggs/zc.buildout-2.3.1-py2.7.egg/zc/buildout/buildout.py", line 1098, in __getitem__
    options._initialize()
  File "/root/.buildout/eggs/zc.buildout-2.3.1-py2.7.egg/zc/buildout/buildout.py", line 1202, in _initialize
    self.initialize()
  File "/root/.buildout/eggs/zc.buildout-2.3.1-py2.7.egg/zc/buildout/buildout.py", line 1211, in initialize
    self.recipe = recipe_class(buildout, name, self)
  File "/root/.buildout/eggs/z3c.recipe.scripts-1.0.1-py2.7.egg/z3c/recipe/scripts/scripts.py", line 39, in __init__
    self.include_site_packages = options.query_bool(
AttributeError: Options instance has no attribute 'query_bool'
[virtual] root at ejr0:/usr/local/grokup #

ANOTHER QUICK GOOGLE SEARCH
AND I FOUND THIS FILE
https://github.com/ploneintranet/ploneintranet/pull/496

AND TRIED

|python bootstrap.py --buildout-version=2.2.5 --setuptools-version=14.0

ANOTHER ERROR

bootstrap.py: error: no such option: --buildout-version

BUT A QUICK GOOGLE SEARCH DOES NOT REVEAL THE MAGIC INCANTATION REQUIRED TO FIX THE PROBLEM

ENOUGH FOR TODAY.

I am really sorry that the ZOPE world is so dead.  I wonder what I can do to help.
So I created a blog about ZODB.

zodb.privacv.com

And a twitter account about the ZODB.

https://twitter.com/zodb4
I invite you to follow it.

And of course if anyone wants to give me advice on getting past this bug, or better yet help with releasing an upgraded version of grok project, that owuld
be most appreciated.

Regards
Chris