[Grok-doc] Volunteering for a YUI tutorial

Jeroen Michiel jmichiel at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 13 03:31:02 EDT 2010

Roger,

Sorry for the immensely late reply!

1) the yui-t7 class of the main div does this. it just is a header, content-area and footer, which is a very basic Grid, if it can be called a grid at all, indeed.

2) megrok.resource is used implicitly in part 1. I explain this in the paragraph
"Enter megrok.resource. This package uses hurry.zoperesource, which will override the default Request object with a special one that will add the needed resources to the <head> tag of your HTML just before rendering. Kind of magic..."

3) You may have a point there, but my reasoning was this: since we are using YUI grids for layouting, we might as well 'do it right' by using megrok.layout as well, as I figured this to be the most used use-case. The biggest problem I have with tutorials (in general) is that most only focus on the task at hand, and leave you clueless if the off-topic parts of the tutorial are quick-and-dirty implementations, or still best-practises. If you cut corners in a tutorial, you should state that, and point readers where to find info on doing it right. I decided to try and not cut any corners. There was no megrok.layout tutorial, so I decided to incorporate it, otherwise I would have referred to it.
Maybe it makes this tutorial a bit 'heavy', indeed.

The big picture of the tutorial was (more or less): explain how to do some typical YUI use-cases the Grok way: Reset/Grid, a menu, getting data asynchronously, sending data async, using JSON.
Thanks for the remarks!