[Grok-doc] TASK: Update About Grok to include mention of ZODB.org

Aroldo Souza-Leite asouzaleite at gmx.de
Mon Mar 1 05:08:46 EST 2010

Hi Roger,

Roger Erens wrote:
> Hello Aroldo,
>
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 12:31, Aroldo Souza-Leite <asouzaleite at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi Roger,
>>

> [snip...]
>

>>> You _REALLY_ want to earn that Grokstar, don't you?! Do you like
>>> blogging so much (http://svn.zope.org/Grokstar/)?
>>>

>> I don't get the pun. I can't remember having blogged ever, and I must have
>> missed some important piece of information that associates a Grok star with
>> the Grokstar blog. I just have a young date this weekend and could use a
>> Grok star to show her as the beginnig of a conversation.
>>

> I was just struck by the subtle difference of just one space and
> wanted to make this clear for posterity (search bots). But probably
> I'm just very jealous, eh proud, that you're on the verge of being the
> very first Grok Star nominee; I can't wait for the IRC-log in which
> Sebastian will award it to you!
Oh, I actually needed it for the last weekend. But I'm confident that
I'll have further opportunities to apply it.
> (I think a Grok Star Award would make
> for an interesting evening during Grok-sprints...)

Yeah, that's the important question: when are we having our next Grok
sprint?
>>> On topic:
>>> For people who like lists, this solution looks perfect. For people who
>>> like stories, merging the info into the Evaluate-document would have
>>> been better.
>>>

>> I think a story is better than a list. To start writing a story, I created
>>

> That's why I liked the Evaluate-document.

I also like the prose style of the Evaluate-document. IMO we should use
this in the-grok-story.

>> http://grok.zope.org/about/the-grok-story in pure reStructuredText.
>> The-grok-story now contains most of the infos in the 'list', which makes the
>> present list items http://grok.zope.org/about/ redundant. The-grok-story
>> should in my opinion replace most of the items in
>> http://grok.zope.org/about. Perhaps only
>> http://grok.zope.org/about/download,
>> http://grok.zope.org/about/overview-of-namespaces and
>> http://grok.zope.org/about/useful-libraries should stay outside the
>> the-grok-story page.
>>
>> So my suggestion is:
>>
>> a) keep
>> http://grok.zope.org/about/the-grok-story
>> http://grok.zope.org/about/overview-of-namespaces
>> http://grok.zope.org/about/useful-libraries
>> http://grok.zope.org/about/download
>>
>> b) DELETE all other sub-items from http://grok.zope.org/about
>>
>> c) Rewrite http://grok.zope.org/about/the-grok-story
>> c.1) clean it up from redundancies
>> c.2) verify links
>> c.3) reorder the paragraphs
>> c.4) flatten the text for a more prose-like  and  less list-like  structure
>>
>> I could work on this, beginning next Monday.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>

> I would solicit for some more comments, e.g. from Sebastian. We need
> to decide who the target audience is, and what it (should?) wants to
> learn about Grok through an 'About Grok'-link. I think the-grok-story
> page is way too long now, making it too difficult for interested
> visitors to create a 'Mental Map' of what Grok is in a reasonable
> short amount of time. That's why I liked the Evaluate-page better than
> the About-page with its long list (IMHO, long lists are boring,
> especially in Powerpoint presentations), because it offers links to
> subjects in such a way that the reader is 'in control' of what (s)he
> is going to read and learn: ("Oh, I know that term, I'm gonna skip
> that link; Hey, what's that functionality supposed to mean? Let's find
> out and click the link"). The only good thing about lists is that
> they're easier to find stuff back.
>
> So, I'd wait a few more days :-)

I agree with you in all of these points. I'm prepared to work more on
this as soon as we have clarified our aims further. I see the present
state of "about" just as a collection of overlapping building blocks in
preparation for slacking and refactoring the whole "about" chapter.

Regards,

Aroldo.