[Gsoc] License for code upload to google

Luciano Ramalho luciano at ramalho.org
Sat Aug 18 14:16:39 EDT 2007

On 8/18/07, Uli Fouquet <uli at gnufix.de> wrote:
> License of sub projects:
> ------------------------
>
> I do not know, whether we have to select a license when we upload our
> code on the upload pages (apart from the license stated in the uploaded
> files), simply, because the upload is currently not open.

Currently, there's no need (or way) to select a license to in
individual file made available for download. I just checked this in
the UI for the paleosoft project:

http://code.google.com/p/paleosoft/downloads/list

(You need to be logged in to see the upload form. BTW, if anyone here
wants a an account to put code in paleosoft, just ask! I'm using
paleosoft to collaborate with other grok users who don't have
committer privileges in zope.org)

> I assume, the upload section which is here:
>
>   http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/downloads/list
>
> will be different to the current Google project pages, where you,
> Luciano, hosted your project in the beginning.

I'm assuming the opposite, as I said above: since they created
google-summer-of-code as a regular project inside their hosting app, I
assume Google wants to use the functionality as it is. Of course,
they've already made one customization (the "multiple licenses" bit),
and more changes may happen...

> The upload will happen in a single tar-ball. In my case I will include a
> very clear license note in the root of the tar-ball, saying that all my
> stuff is ZPL. If someone downloads the files, there should be no doubt
> about the license.
>
> I also included the ZPL in every source file, as Philipp recommended
> (thanks Philipp!).

I will do the same.

> Please tell me, if I should have missed something important!

I think you've covered it all.

> I think the filed issue can be closed.

+1

Regards,